[PD] chord libraries?

William Huston williamahuston at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 04:31:19 CET 2015

Before I reinvent the wheel, I'm wondering what people have done
characterizing chord libraries?

I'm looking for the root position constructions in terms of intervals for 3
and 4 note chords.

I realize there are only a dozen or so which are mostly used, but just
wondering what people have come up with.

What would be really nice is to convert between things like:

1,3,5 -> "Major" -> 1,5,8
1,3b,5 -> "Minor" -> 1,4,8
1,4,5 -> "Sus4" -> 1,6,8

I.e., Notes in scale,
Common name, Interval map

... for all common 3 and 4 note chords. Like, given any one of those, can
derive the others.

Also would be nice given an interval map, be able to identify it as an
inversion of a more basic chord, like:

1,5,8 -> Maj/root
1,4,9 -> Maj/1st inv
1,6,10 -> Maj/2nd inv

Any pointers/ideas along these lines appreciated!

Thanks

May you, and all beings
be happy and free from suffering :)
-- ancient Buddhist Prayer (Metta)