[PD] chord libraries?

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 21:38:12 CET 2015

I hate to be a pedant/ass about this, but it's important to indicate the
scope of application. Most music (I'm not sure about "most songs") doesn't
use chords at all – chords are mostly a Western phenomenon (with some
important exceptions, e.g. Central Africa).

All 29 tetrachord types can be found in:

Western classical music of the last 100 years (at least)
Jazz

And if you count melodic structures as well:
South Indian (Carnatic) ragas
Western classical music of the last 300 years (at least)
Prog Rock

etc.

That cluster is sometimes called the chromatic tetrachord, 0123, 4-1, the
B-A-C-H tetrachord, or something like "the four-note chromatic cluster." It
functions in lots of music, but probably not the kind modeled by the map
you linked to.

If you're looking for chord maps, do you know about Tonnetze?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonnetz

It says almost nothing about syntax -- the map you linked to is a syntax
graph -- but it does systemize some tonal relations.