[PD] recreating FM8 / DX7 in Pd

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 19:49:10 CET 2015

Howdy, I'm just trying to understand how the Feedback modulation works in
FM8 (from NI) and how it really is the same as in DX7. I'm actually also
using SuperCollider, which provides a self modulating oscillator
(SinOscFB), but it just burst and blows up in noise way before the FM8 does
with the same modulation index. I've made an equivalent patch in Pd for
SinOscFB. Now, I know that in Supercollider there is no filter in the
feedback, and I was researching around the web and found out about the DX7
patents where they described the usage of a mean filter in the feedback
loop. Here's the patent
http://www.google.com/patents/US4249447?dq=4249447&ei=7vK4T_m5LKOH6QHH2pTsCg

this was actually discussed in a Pd Forum. I tried the mean filter in the
feedback loop, but it doesn't really sound closer to FM8's self modulating
oscillator. FM8 is supposed to be a kind of perfect clone to DX7. I don't
have a DX7, but I have FM8, so I'm using it as a guide to recreate DX7
patches in Pd.

This may be a long shot, but I wonder if anyone out there could help me out
nailing the perfect sound and behaviour of the self phase modulating
oscillator.

thanks