[PD] looking for other vanilla filters or abstractions for libPD

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Sat Nov 7 21:57:55 CET 2015

Yes, this is correct. I was wrong in the last mail.

Since the externals are built and linked when building libpd as iOS doesn’t allow dynamic linking, there’s no way to satisfy the distribution clause in the LGPL. I was thinking about *abstraction* libraries earlier which are OK as long as you can allow users to update them. I do this in PdParty by exposing the lib folder and make it easy to swap in new versions of those files. Of course this works since they are not binary compiled libraries.

I was hoping for expr adopting a BSD license for this issue, but I also understand if the authors choose not to. I’m pretty sure everything else distributed in the pd vanilla sources is BSD.

Also, I’m sure there are apps running with expr~ etc in the App Store. You only have to add those files to your build tree when building libpd and call their setup function. I doubt there is a automatic mechanism Apple is using to detect such things.

--------
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika <https://twitter.com/danomatika>
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>