[PD] Efficient FIFO in Pd: How?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 00:24:04 CET 2015

Hi all

I'm looking for a way to implement a FIFO buffer in Pd. I'd like it to
be able enqueue messages with an arbitrary number of elements in order
to retrieve them in the same order later. I came up with three different
methods, but they are all either slow at enqueuing or at dequeuing or
even both. It seems for a quick implementation you need something like a
ring buffer, but I can't think of any method that would work for
symbolic elements, too (as opposed to numbers).

Attached patch comparison.pd compares the methods. Isn't there really a
O(n) implementation as opposed to O(n^2)?

Roman