[PD] band limited (anti-alias) techniques

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 16:33:14 CET 2015

On 24/11/2015 16:01, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> Cool, I assumed there'd be many techniques out there.
>
> Do any of you know the advantages and disadvantages between
> "/oversampling + filtering/" and the other techniques?

Apart from the explanations already provided, I also think (as usual)
that it depends on the use case... Lots of bandlimiting examples assume
one wants to do a 20Hz to 20kHz 'smooth' sweep - which might not always
be the case (I'm not sure how common that is with saw, square etc. (I
guess pure sine has more applications for that)). For a saw-sounding
synth sound one could just use a wavetable with some filters, etc.

There are even some people who might use aliasing and its sound
characteristics as a 'feature' for its distinctive 'harsh' timbre :-)

Lorenzo.