[PD] 64 bit audio?

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 06:19:56 CET 2015

​You probably don't want Pd dithering behind the scenes without you knowing
it. There are a couple of things to consider, though:

Dithering for 24-bit output isn't generally necessary, since most audio
devices don't have true 24-bit ADC/DAC, and even with perfect equipment the
noise floor is lower than the threshold of hearing given a reasonable
maxamp level.

Dithering for a 16-bit audio device might be worth while, but most of these
devices I've ever worked with already have more than enough analog
component noise not to worry so much about truncation error.

Dithering for output to a 16-bit sound file for playback on a device with
more precision is probably worth it, but you want to be able to control the
kind of dither you're using, whether or not you're going to employ any
noise shaping, etc. That's all stuff you can do in Pd if you want, but
there are probably better (and easier!) options.​