[PD] [gemhead]s vs. [separator]

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Dec 7 10:02:49 CET 2015

On 2015-12-06 17:16, Chris Clepper wrote:
> One use for [separator] is to texture the same image or video to multiple
> surfaces.

you *can* do this with multiple gemheads as well (though it requires
explicitness, whereas [separator] just does it for you)

>   Another is to control the center position of multiple geos that
> are offset from that center.

i see [separator] as a way to *group* geos.
if you ever want to apply a single transformation to all geos in the
group (though probably not all geos in the world), [separator] is the
way to go. (this is just a more generic way of saying what chris said.)

my usual example is a "hand": you can move the fingers (somewhat)
independently, but if you move the entire hand the fingers will move
along; hence they form a "unit" and i use [separator].
conversely, two "people" can move totally independently, so i'd use
multiple gemheads...unless i'm modelling a star system, were humans and
midgets are sub-elements of entire planets.

as for overhead: start worrying about that once you do hit a performance
boundary, not before.

fgmasdr
IOhannes