[PD] Cyclone issues update

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 21:14:33 CET 2015

Great & Awesome, Thanks!

But please allow me to make a suggestion and start a discussion.

If backwards compability is really considered that important, perhaps we
could just create a second signal outlet, it'd keep the current
functionality and add the original signal design.

I suggest that because I consider a priority the focus on a faithful object
relationship between max and pd. I consider this to be the one great
purpose of it. so I think it's weird to have an object with a different
name, that doesn't exist in max, to behave as such, whilst the object that
was supposed to have that same functionality doesn't.

If keeping two objects, why not give the old one a new name? But one way or
another, two objects sounds bad to me. I'd go further as to discuss if this
functionality is necessary, we can achieve it with other objects in Pd,
such as another object from cyclone, which is [cyclone/avg~], and also env~
and [zexy/avg~] or [zexy/tavg~]...

Moreover, instead of just using other objects, you could just use
[cyclone/snapshot~] to convert the audio output to control if needed. It's
a simple fix. I don't believe there are that many patches out there that
depend on this, and if they exist, again, it's a simple fix, and it seems
healthier to fix them than to maintain it just because we had it wrong to
begin with...

I'm fine in having some flexibility and not having the exact same
functionality as in max, we could have other functionalities/features, so
having two outlets could be meeting halfway - I just tend to criticize this
need to maintain features and behaviours that emerged from mistakes and
then adding other stuff around it and making it more complicating than just
fixing it.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on it, anybody else?

cheers