[PD] setting previous samples in [z~] (was cyclone features)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 18:17:44 CET 2015

Hi Fred, I'll answer you here

> What do you mean by setting samples in the delay line?
> I tried understanding what fexpr~ does with [set ...( but failed
miserable :-(

first, I mean that regarding [z~], [delay~] in max doesn't have this.

What it does is you can set the values of the previous samples, in fexpr
you can set values for any delay line in it, both inputs ($x1[-1], $x3[-4])
and outputs ($y2[-2] etc). You can also clear it (0 everywhere).

I think it's another cool feature to add to [z~] besides clearing it.

say you have a constant signal = 1 into your delay line and it is 5 samples
long (1 1 1 1 1) - the leftmost being the first samples of the delay line

you can go and set different values for them like this, lets set $x1[-1]
and $x1[-2] to 0 and 0.5

now it's 0 0.5 1 1 1

and the samples we've set will quickly be overwritten by the constant
signal of "1"

hope this does it.

cheers