[PD] fat binaries or not, on OSX (was: 'Pd 64 bits' for OSX is i386 + ppc)

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Dec 15 10:50:57 CET 2015

On 2015-12-13 23:16, katja wrote:
>> The second thing would complicate loading of externs since I don't know how
>> to make a fat binary with two different alternative code sections that are
>> chosen according to the directions of the loading program - at the moment
>> chosen automatically by the OS on that basis).
>
> IOhannes has suggested ideas about loading 'phat' (fat precision)
> binaries in a pd-dev thread starting here:
>
> http://lists.puredata.info/pipermail/pd-dev/2015-02/020073.html (and further)

i still think that this is a sane plan (though it could probably be
simplified a bit more).
if there is interest, i could provide a patch to implement that.

lately i was thinking about the possibilities to allow loading/using of
externals with the "wrong" precision, e.g. a legacy mode, that would run
old (single precision) externals in a double precision runtime.

most likely it's possible as long as the external doesn't use any
heap-allocated numbers (tables), but it's probably not wort the effort.

i *guess* that max7 would allow to run single-precision DSP code (even
though by now, max uses double precision signals), but might be totally
wrong.

fgmasdr
IOhannes