[PD] Purpose of Cyclone (was: Cyclone features or Cyclone updates)

Fred Jan Kraan fjkraan at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 15 19:22:34 CET 2015

Hi Alexandre,

> But anyway, I'm confused as to what is your idea behind it, or the
> general idea in the community of cyclone users. Let us talk about it then.
>
> This also touches the issue with [average~], as there was a resistance
> to make it a proper clone of the Max object as a priority. You were
> making remarks such as:
>
>>Compatibility is limited to a very old version of Max/MSP.
>
> That really confused me, as a Max 7 user...

Why? If any version of Max/MSP looks like Pd, it is 4.6 (or maybe
earlier versions, but I don't have access to those...).

>> Forme this makes backward compatibility more important
>> than with an obsolete Max/MSP version.
> About [average~], the thing is that was wrong to begin with, it couldn't
> load max patches in the first place, it should have been signal all along.

I agree average~ was wrong all along. But it has been wrong wrong for
about twelve years. I do not want to invalidate twelve years of patches.
If you want to copy a Max patch with average~ in Pd, you could use
another object or an abstraction. PureData is supposed to be a tool to
help understand DSP technique and make creative sounds. Not to be able
to blindly copy Max/MSP patches.

> Seemed like defining cyclone as a way to load patches from max 4 - but
> then agreeing you can't do that anymore and just disregarding the idea
> that the objects should be proper clones as a priority.

Indeed, for me backward compatibility more important than Max/MSP
compatibility.

> *_In short, my take on cyclone's purpose: to be a set of objects cloned
> from max (up to the latest version), with the same features and
> functionalities where possible._*

Another reason is the limited time I can spend on maintaining cyclone.
The 4.6 functionality is a useful, but somewhat arbitrary guiding
principle. And as you observed, most of the missing objects are not that
essential...

But enough typing opinions for now, I prefer to do some improvement on
cyclone objects tonight :-).

> cheers

Greetings,

Fred Jan