[PD] fat binaries or not, on OSX (was: 'Pd 64 bits' for OSX is i386 + ppc)

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 19:57:26 CET 2015

My 2 cents:

Honestly, I *really* wouldn’t bother with maintaining ppc support anymore. 10.5 was released in Oct of 2007, that’s 6 versions ago and 99.9% of people running OSX are not running ppc. I understand the desire to support it, but those people can use older versions of Pd. Without going down the “Apple forces planned obsolesce, blah blah” fest again, the practical matter is that the need for OSX ppc is so small I feel developer effort is best spent elsewhere. Besides, if I were resurrecting an old Power PC G5 Mac Pro, I’d install Debian on it anyway.

OTOH, if you personally have an old Powerbook and want to keep Pd on it up to date, go for it! I’m just suggesting, if that’s not the case, it may not be worth the extra time and effort.

--------
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika <https://twitter.com/danomatika>
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>