[PD] How to update Pd 0.45.4 to 0.46.7 0n Ubuntu 14.4 (Odroid XU4)

Ingo ingo at miamiwave.com
Mon Dec 21 16:09:51 CET 2015

>I know that when you compile software, the binary (or is it just a symlink
> to the binary?) is installed in /usr/local/bin, not /usr/bin.

That's where it is.
It's just that the original Pd 0.45.4 was installed in /usr/lib and now the
links do not point anymore to the latest version.

>Why do you have problems with externals? Can't you set their path in Pd's
> preferences?

Yes, but I'm getting errors during the installation via deken like:

apt: :install failed to install pd-iemlib=1.20.1-1
	Did you provide the correct password and/or
	is the apt database locked by another process?

During startup I get these errors:

tried /usr/local/lib/pd/extra/cxc.l_arm and failed
tried /usr/local/lib/pd/extra/cxc.pd_linux and failed
tried /usr/local/lib/pd/extra/cxc/cxc.l_arm and failed
tried /usr/local/lib/pd/extra/cxc/cxc.pd_lunux and failed
/usr/local/lib/pd/extra/cxc: can't load library

I'm suspecting that this is caused by either the location or by the fact
that these are not compiled for arm.
Most of the externals are working anyway, though.

Other external libraries are working partially.
With the iemlib some externals are working while others like e.g.
[mergefilename] are not loading at all.

> Ubuntu looks for binaries in /usr/local/bin before it tries /usr/bin. That
> means that your compiled 0.46-7 should be the preferred version.

> You can double check this with:
> $ echo $PATH

> you should get something like
> /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:
> etc., meaning the OS will check the local folders first
>
> If you launch pd from the terminal, does it launch the new version?

Yes, from the terminal it starts the new version.
However it does not show up in the applications menu and I cannot associate
".pd" with this pd-version.

> To get the menu launcher right, you probably need to edit
> /usr/share/applications/puredata.desktop (or pd.desktop or whatever it's
> called) to point to the right binary file in /usr/local/bin

I need to take a look at that!

>> You need to set the prefix to /usr as the default with autoconf is
>> /usr/local
>>
>> ./configure —prefix=/usr/local
>> make
>> sudo make install

> as joel has pointed out, you probably *should not* manually install into
> /usr/ (this is the turf of your system's package manager).
>
> the proper way would be to install (system-wide) externals sowmehere into
> /usr/local/ where a Pd that is intalled into /usr/ can find it.
> there are two ways to accomplish that:
>
> - install into /usr/local/lib/pd-externals/ (this will be searched by all
> Pd-versions since 0.43 or so) OR
> - install into /usr/local/lib/pd/extra/ and tell Pd to also look into
> there by adding this path to your preferences.

I'll try a new install like that.

> > It did a bunch of stuff (without any errors) but I still had version
> > 0.45.4 afterwards.
>
> how did you test?
>
> > Then I tried uninstalling 0.45.4 and the installing 0.46.7 but that
> > gave me no Pd at all ...
>
> how did you test?

When checking the console there were no errors but the new directory showed
up. The old version was still coexisting in the old directory and the menu
entries were pointing to the old version. That's why I got confused because
the older version was opening automatically when double clicking onto a
".pd" patch.
At the moment I can start pd only from the console. But that's ok - no big
deal!

> any Pd application launcher in your desktop menu is provided by Debian
> directly (*not* by Pd-vanilla).
> so if you uninstall the Debian package, you uninstall the launcher (with
> the fancy icon).
>
> the Debian application launcher also explicitely starts the Pd version
> installed by Debian (/usr/bin/pd).
> so even if you have a /usr/local/bin/pd that is really a disguised max9
> binary, clicking on the launcher will give you a good and proper Pd.
>
> however, you can still start any Pd in /usr/local/bin, e.g. by running it
> from the console or by simply creating your own launcher.

Yep, exactly!

So the update did work! Now I probably need to recompile the libraries that
are not working properly on the Odroid.

OTOH, I might first check if there is a debian image out there that might
work better to beging with out of the box. I'm not too happy with this
Lubuntu 14.4 (it was named Ubuntu on the download, though).

In case anybody could point me to a working Debian image that runs on the
ODROID XU4 I'd be more than happy!!!

Thanks everybody!
Ingo