[PD] consolidate backward- and MaxMSP compatibility in Cyclone (was: Purpose of Cyclone)

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 22:48:48 CET 2015

On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 9:41 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres
<porres at gmail.com> wrote:

> If we're discussing [average~], how about my idea of having a second right
> signal outlet as default? I think it's an easy and simple solution. Help
> file would explain how the left control outlet is for backwards
> compatibility. Done.

Yes that would be an easy way to incorporate Fred Jan's signal average
output into the existing class. But note that both solutions, dual
mode and dual outlet, have a similar forward incompatibility effect. A
patch that uses the right signal outlet of a new version won't run
with an old average~ binary. So the pros and cons of both solutions
are comparable, with the small difference that the dual outlet layout
with message left and signal right is rather unusual.

Katja