[PD] consolidate backward- and MaxMSP compatibility in Cyclone (was: Purpose of Cyclone)

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 16:24:26 CET 2015

Oh I know. It just seems a shame to say: "Well, somebody might have a patch somewhere from 10 years ago that relies on a 10 year old version of a library that mimics a 10 year old version  of Max running on a 10+ year old computer/os and we can't break that, ever."

For vanilla objects yeah, I get it, but for externals isn't it also reasonable able to say: "It's been 10 years maybe I might need to update that patch that uses that 10 year old external lib."

I'm not saying break things arbitrarily but, in the case of Max, they don't want to break people's patches either (and I bet there are more patches out in the wild than Pd patches). What has max changed object-wise between 4.6 & 7 that actually breaks things? I'd say very little and, if so, the whole argument is kind of moot so why not just introduce those non breaking changes made by Max?

If only we had someone who could extensively test, compare versions, and make notes about these differences. That would make not easy to see what might be a problem an what's easy to add. Oh wait, hasn't Alexandre been spending alot of time doing just that?

IE if an object historically had one output and and update adds another, how does that break old patches that only use 1 output?

enohp ym morf tnes
Dan Wilcox
danomatika.com
robotcowboy.com