[PD] Sending [color $1( or [size $1( type messages to objects

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 19:15:07 CET 2015

For PD vanilla:

> 1: Is the technique of setting object attributes via messages documented anywhere?
>
>    (x2.html has most things, but I don't see this.)

Right click on an IEM gui (tgl for instance) and choose help. Then open the “edit” subpatch.

> 2: Is there a list of all the standard objects, and the names of all
> attributes (methods) which are settable via messages?
> (A language specification or reference should have this)

See above.

> 3: If I send the message [color $1(  to an object, say a tgl,
> it seems to follow an index into a table (modulo 30)
> which corresponds to the little table that comes up in
> the object properties dialog box:
>
> <object color table.jpg>
>> So my last question is, can I rely on that table staying
> the same across all versions of PD? Will index 13 always
> be Red?

Yes.

> 4: Can I change that table?

No, but as mentioned in a previous replay, you can compose your own colors as well and set them via messages.

> 5: I would prefer to set an object's color via an RGB value
> Can I do that?

Yes, also mentioned in a previous reply I believe. If not, there are a number of small util patches posted to the pd-list over the years. Check the archives.

--------
Dan Wilcox
@danomatika <https://twitter.com/danomatika>
danomatika.com <http://danomatika.com/>