[PD] consolidate backward- and MaxMSP compatibility in Cyclone (was: Purpose of Cyclone)

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 20:28:37 CET 2015

I guess I'm responsible for too much works on this matter. I was mostly
concerned on how this issue was being faced in the maintenance, where
max/msp compatibility seemed disregarded. But it's cool there's an idea it
must be considered.

Now, when it comes down to it, it's not like this seems to be an issue
that'll raise up so much.

“*Max 7 now uses a larger buffer on this object” and making the buffer
larger doesn’t actually change how the expected out of the object works,
why not update it?*"

That, for instance, is what we'll basically deal with... and only reason
not to update is "don't have time" or lack in collaboration. I've found
some people who'd be willing to help. lets see.

"*What has max changed object-wise between 4.6 & 7 that actually breaks
things? I'd say very little*"

I haven't seen any breakage yet and I assume they care for not breaking, so
I doubt we'll have to deal with this, so maybe we don't need to spend this
many words on it.

What we basically have, so far, is one object, which has been considered
"wrong all along", so it's more of a matter on how to fix it and keep the
older behaviour for the sake of not breaking patches.

I don't believe we'll have to deal with more errors like that or breakage,
hopefully this is the only one to arise. So we may as well treat this as an
unfortunate and special case, and think what's best for it... same with
another one *if* it comes up.

> Summarizing, the discussion in this thread has so far rendered three
> practical and simple solutions to improve MaxMSP compatibility in
> Cyclone without breaking Pd patches (with average~ as an example):
>
> - MaxMSP compatibility through an extra inlet / outlet

The case with [average~] is that it wouldn't require an extra inlet, only
an extra outlet in fact, so it's simpler.

> - MaxMSP compatibility available through an extra operational mode
> - MaxMSP compatibility available through an extra class

An extra class breaks compatibility, as you need another class name - seems
like a drastic or last resource solution. Not sure how an "extra
operational mode" would work, but seems a little complicated.

I still think that introducing an extra outlet is the least complicated and
least intrusive. I've made a test help patch to illustrate it's a simple
fix.

cheers and merry xmas