[PD] animation api

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 2 19:12:22 CET 2016

Hi list,I'm playing with adding a simple animation api to data structure drawing commands.
The parameters will be sent to the GUI, and the GUI will take care of the ramp, delay, etc.
I'm thinking of just making it a simple "set it and forget it" api.  That is, you send a message
with your ramp and delay times to the GUI, and you just blindly trust that the GUI will make
things happen in the right amount of time.  The alternative I can think of is to have the GUI
call back when an animation is finished, but that would encourage mixing the two clocks
(i.e., GUI and Pd clock) in unpredictable
ways.
Does this simple approach seem like a reasonable design?  The biggest problem would be that
a long-running animation could skew.  But in that case you could probably amortize the cost ofsending more messages over the longer time period.

-Jonathan