[PD] animation api

Ivica Ico Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Sun Jan 3 19:08:16 CET 2016

I think it may make sense in addition to having a one-shot-independent
animations that have no guarantee of staying in sync with the audio
(e.g. these could be useful for mouse-over button animations) that your
animation object can also receive a decimal value between its originator
and destination, allowing for each keyframe to be a whole number. So,
0-1 would interpolate between the starting state and first keyframe, 1-2
between first and second keyframes, etc., and thus allow pd to use its
timing mechanism to project changes in animation state via a line
object, a counter or something similar. IIRC most (all?) HTML5-based
animations can be triggered as independent events or can be given a
specific percentage value. The one-shot object could interact with
independent events, while the proposed object could interact with the
latter.

That said, not knowing how you have imagined your animation object, it
may be tricky to implement this as it would require object to keep track
of all the keyframed events (assuming there are more than one). If you
are thinking of having the animation object track only one single
animation (e.g. something progressing from 30% to 90%), the same could
still prove useful except in this case you would only allow for values
between 0 and 1.