[PD] [PD-announce] PPP : pure-data (libpd) based jamming system

Berenger Recoules berenger.recoules at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 19:47:19 CET 2016

> Sounds good.
>
> I have all built in pd & iem guis implemented, feature rich. Too bad your
> versions currently can’t be back ported to DroidParty. In this case, I feel
> it would make sense to work with Chris, et al. to separate the DroidParty
> core from it’s specific Android UI implementation and then both projects
> could use the pd UI work y’all have put in. At least that’s my 2 cents and
> *small* fear of fragmentation. It’s not like there are tons of Pd
> developers. On the other hand, different projects have different focuses of
> course.

I agree fragmentation is sometimes an issue, but I'm sure we can minimize
it so it's a goo idea to start discuss it all together.

> My focus so far is to maintain compatibility with Pure Data itself and
> include DroidParty & RjDj compatibility. To that end I’ve spent perhaps too
> much time the last few weeks implementing and checking against the
> DroidParty tests. Maybe I’m being too thorough ;)

I loved rjdj and wrote a bunch of patches for it but sadly it doesn't exist
anymore so we didn't really take rjdj compatibility into account. We are
pretty much compatible with droidparty (you can use a patch from droidparty
in ppp you just won't benefit from the clock), we kept the support for svg
theming too.

We were not really sure of what kind of gui we will need in the future,
hence our decision to ensure the gui from pd-vanilla was available with ppp
and also open up the possibilities for overrides with code.

I think touch is needed for a touchscreen ... so we kept it (but how to
prototype a multi-touch app in pd-vanilla ?) , and taplist is a good way to
select an element in list with a very small on screen size so it's pretty
usefull so we kept it too.

I think/hope that the community will tell us what they need in terms of gui
:)

> One of my further plans, after getting the app out, is to separate the
> PdParty core (libpd, OSC, MIDI, pd UI implementations) from the specific
> app UI so it can be used as a basis for building other apps as well.

That's mainly what we did, that makes it hard to port back new stuff :) I
think it's good idea to work in that direction.

> Also midiclock is a good idea :)

Cheers !

--
http://b2renger.github.io/