[PD] New "native" Pd GUI support in MobMuPlat

Dan Wilcox danomatika at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 17:52:48 CET 2016

> On Jan 8, 2016, at 9:29 AM, Daniel Iglesia <daniel.iglesia at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm glad you asked! It's done in a slightly convoluted, potentially fragile, possibly un-scalable way.
>
> When a user loads a .pd file, pre-proccessing is done on the .pd text to generate _two_ new .pd files, one for execution, and one for display The two communicate with each other.

I thought it might be done that way. Does sound knife-edge :) I think it’s not too conceptually difficult to work with send-receives, plus it makes it easier to stream data from the device int Pd on your laptop while developing.

We could work out a way to make the PdParty objects more extensible so you could use the iem implementations as well. This can be included with separating the PdParty UI from the Core and pd gui implementations. SO Submodule instead of copy/paste classes (I could use any bug finding help as well!)

> Separate questions for everyone:
> 1) you may notice that the current version does not render connection lines. While the patch text lists all the connections (and inlet/outlet indices for them), the app doesn't know how many inlets/outlets each object has. I haven't delved too deeply for it yet, but is there an interface somewhere that will return that information? e.g. here's an atom line for an object and its parameters, tell me how many inlets/outlets. If so, then connection lines could be rendered correctly. (Without it, I could still render conneciton lines, but if there are empty inlets/outlets after a connection then they would not be shown.)

I stayed away from connection lines mainly because trying to implement “editing” is perhaps an unreasonable task for a single, unpaid developer. Drawing the lines brings that expectation, no? ALso, since I’m using sends/receievs there are no lines to render anyway ...

> 2) Is showing the full set of patch objects (and, eventually, connection lines) even desirable? (Rather than just rendering the gui objects). I'm thinking of an option that would switch their display on/off. (But leave GUI objects, including message boxes)

Mmm that implies, as I’ve written above, that people can “edit” in MobMuPlat.

--------