[PD] Window Functions

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 06:39:57 CET 2016

Hi list, quick DSP question.

In I02.Hann.window.pd there is a Hann window computed by running an [osc~]
for one cycle over 512 samples. Doing it this way is simple but it means
that it doesn't taper all the way to 0 on the right (the next value of the
oscillator after writing the table is 0). I don't know why I hadn't thought
of this before, but is this asymmetry mathematically optimal for windowing
of a single frame? What about in an overlap-add context? I'm trying to
understand the logic, so I'm not too worried about whether it makes a
practical difference. A period of 511 samples would be symmetric and
0-valued at both ends, but there would be no "middle" value at unity.

What's the best way to think of this?

Matt