[PD] closebang and initbang in Vanilla

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 20 01:09:30 CET 2016

> so one from the new millenium: locking a network ressource (e.g. an
gigabit IP-camera that saturates the the network once it's told to start
delivering frames).
What happens currently if you click <ctrl-c> in the terminal on a Pd
instance that's using that network resource?
Is LB_PANIC a public interface (having an external and/or pd class interface)?
Or is it a private interface that Pd would use to call free methods?
Is there a deep reason to have it named "panic" which clashes with its meaning
in Linux?
> I don't have any examples to
> hand, except a rather lame one: sending an all-notes-off message to some MIDI
> output.
A naive question-- suppose I have a [foo] external in my patch and click <ctrl-c>.If LB_PANIC calls foo_free, and I have a blocking call there to free up
resources for libborksalot.so, what happens?  If that resource just hangs, is
my terminal likewise now hanging, unresponsive?

-Jonathan

 On 2016-01-19 20:59, Miller Puckette wrote:
> Sort of.  I think it's a bad idea to go through and close all the windows
> (sometimes closing a window takes time) - but just send objects a message
> in case they need to get off some resource.

i'm not really interesting about "closing windows".
what i do want is to call the "free" method of each object though
(assuming that those objects are written properly to free any open
ressources in their destructor).

> I don't have any examples to
> hand, except a rather lame one: sending an all-notes-off message to some MIDI
> output.

so one from the new millenium: locking a network ressource (e.g. an
gigabit IP-camera that saturates the the network once it's told to start
delivering frames).

fgamsd
IOhannes