[PD] Slightly OT: Goal for NAMM 2017: Pledge to Support Open Source

William Huston williamahuston at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 17:01:10 CET 2016

My main point is that manufactures like Korg should not have secret API's.

I have a Microkey-37, and several simple things (like how to change
velocity curves, and whether LEDs are locally or remotely set) are not
documented in their published MIDI implementation. They probably use SYSEX
messages, but why keep it a secret? The only way to access this stuff now
is either a) reverse engineer, or b) pay Microsoft/Apple for aa commercial
OS and use Korg's closed-source app.

Korg also bundles software for stand-alone or VST instruments, which also
only run on proprietary OS'es. So there are two solutions here:

1) unbundle the software so I don't have to pay for the same softsynth each
time I purchase a controller--my preferred solution,  OR 2) give us a
softsynth which is open-source and runs on Linux.

Of course we Pd hackers like to write our own. :)

I'm just saying, if they force us to purchase bundled software, at least
make it open source and hackable. That would add some value to me.

On Friday, January 22, 2016, Pagano, Patrick <pat at digitalworlds.ufl.edu>
wrote:

> Good Idea William but i always thought things like Pure Data were there
SO we could develop said products. And i DO boot windows for Touch Designer
but frankly little else. I took the leap and moved to Macintosh when PD was
released and have always dual booted linux:Ubuntu on it.

> I have also found the proprietary features are rarely "all that"
> I did recently on a whim buy a KARP Odyssesy but mostly because it had a
CVin/out TrigI/O and GateI/O

> :-)
>

> Patrick Pagano B.S, M.F.A
> Audio and Projection Design Faculty
> Digital Worlds Institute
> University of Florida, USA
> (352)294-2020
> ________________________________
Source

https://www.change.org/ , http://www.thepetitionsite.com/media-arts-culture/
, .http://www.avaaz.org/en/ etc?

> If one of these platforms were suitable to host it then that would
definitely help.

> Phil
>
> On 21 January 2016 at 21:53, William Huston <williamahuston at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> Thanks for all who responded with early feedback :)
>>
>> I think the plan should be
>>
>> 1) Form a small committee to draft the
>> "Pledge to Support Open Source Community"
>> with the target being manufactures of synthesizers,
>>  controllers, and other MIDI devices.
>>
>> 2) Recruit the Top 10 or 25 big names to sign on to the letter.
>>
>> 3) A general petition for all others.
>>
>> If anyone wants to be on the committee to create
>> the first draft, please contact me off-list.
>>
>> Thanks!!
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 5:10 PM, phil jones <interstar at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I will totally sign a petition on this. And forward it to every
musician I know.

>>> Phil

of experience owning their products.

the hardware are forced to pay for something they do not want and cannot
use.

access, and which only runs on Windows or MacOS. ($$$).

the perfect application for this!!!), then I must also pay Microsoft or
Apple, in order to fully use the thing. I must also must pay a premium for
software I  cannot use and may not want or need.

manufacturers all get together.

we will try to get manufacturers support for by the next 2017 NAMM.

tools, which only run on  Windows or Mac can access.

linux hardware owner to pay for software he cannot use.

hackable C programs, Perl or Python scripts, and also sample patches in
popular open-source music programs such as CSound, SuperCollider, or Pure
Data.

campaign which could help users of other H/W vendors stuff as well.