[PD] Fast convolution of 2 tables using FFT

JF saintidle at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 24 22:10:54 CET 2016

Well, I should say, time domain convolution, using multiplication in the frequency domain ;)

 Subject: Fast convolution of 2 tables using FFT
 To: "pd list" <pd-list at iem.at>, "Me" <saintidle at yahoo.com>
 Date: Sunday, 24 January, 2016, 21:01

 Hi all,

 I decided to implement my own patch that does frequency
 domain convolution of two tables.

 Have a look at the FFTTry02Long03.pd file and you will need
 the attached abstractions and
 iem_tab [tab_complex_mul] (in the path for vanilla or just
 imported with pd-extended).

 It's very fast compared to iem_tab's [tab_conv] but the
 output doesn't exactly match, there is
 some error. It's small and I'm thinking it's because of the
 blocksize being very large to fft~ the
 tables all in one go. The ifft~ needs a very large division
 (blocksize) to normalise the gains
 so I'm presuming there's some number precision funniness
 going on here? If anyone could
 chime in on this?

 Any feedback/improvement ideas would be greatly
 appreciated.

 Thanks in advance,
 John.