[PD] Pd External Question

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Feb 1 19:56:58 CET 2016

On 01/31/2016 12:57 AM, Ricky Graham wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there any reason why passing a symbol arg to determine the amount of outlets on object creation would work in extended but not in vanilla? Both compile and create successfully but for whatever reason the symbol arg of my object has no effect on the number of outlets in vanilla. I’m using sprintf to parse and identify symbols passed from the pd patch; would that cause any issues?

i'm pretty sure that miller is right and that there are no real
differences between Pd and Pd-X regarding symbol parsing.

the *only* thing i could think of is:
Pd has a built-in limitation that requires (for typechecked arguments)
that all symbols come before floats.
so you cannot do the following (using class_addcreator() instead of
class_new() or brevity):

   class_addcreator((t_newmethod)foo_new, gensym("foo"), A_FLOAT,
A_SYMBOL, 0);

instead you *must* do either

 class_addcreator((t_newmethod)foo_new, gensym("foo"), A_SYMBOL,
A_FLOAT, 0);

or

 class_addcreator((t_newmethod)foo_new, gensym("foo"), A_GIMME, 0);

it *might* be that pd-extended has somehow dropped this limitation.
not to my knowledge though (though i always wondered why Pd-vanilla has
this limitation in the first place)

apart from that: i guess you would have to show your code or more
information.

gamrds
IOhannes