[PD] Expr V0.5-alpha

Shahrokh Yadegari sdy at ucsd.edu
Sat Feb 6 02:36:12 CET 2016

Dear All,

Attached is a pre-release of Expr 0.5 compiled for Mac os x (compiled on
10.9) and Linux (compiled on an older Cent OS). I have also attached
Alexandre's big pd patch which listed the issues, with my comments.

Hopefully I have addressed most of the issues that were brought up and now
I am working on a more complete documentation of Expr objects. One open
issue is that expr still supports no more than 10 expressions.

I have provided a mechanism for local variables and abstraction
substitutions ($0 and $1, $2, etc.) to work. Also, one hopefully useful new
feature in V0.5 is the assign  '='  operator. Now you can use expr to
assign to "value"s and into arrays. So if you have a variable called 'count'

"value count"

"expr count = count + 1"

will implement a counter, raising the value of count with every "bang"

You can also change values of arrays through the usual syntax.

"expr array1[5] = $f1"

will set the sixth value (counting zero based) of the array "array1" to the
incoming float value on inlet 1.

I will write a more informative and comprehensive release notes along with
the documentation when I pass the sources to Miller. However, I have made a
few changes to the parser and I am looking for alpha-testers who can run
the code and let me know if any bugs are found, specially in parsing of
complex expressions.

I look forward to hearing from whoever uses these objects. Please let me
know if you find any bugs. (NOTE: you need to create the links for expr and
fexpr~ to get the new version for those as well.)

cheers,
Shahrokh