[PD] Pd can't find its help files

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Feb 9 22:33:05 CET 2016

On 02/09/2016 09:55 PM, Andrea wrote:
> Pd-0.43.0

Pd-0.43???
current Pd is Pd-0.46; 0.43 is *several* years old.

> on Linux/x86_64

this is a kernel.
it does not say very much about your system.

> while Pd is installed in /opt/pkg/bin/

esp, /opt/pkg/bin is *not* a standard path for Pd.
Pd usually installs into *standard* /usr/local/ paths, and uses a
hierarchy like this:

 ${prefix}/bin/pd
 ${prefix}/lib/pd/doc/

the pd binary will search for help-patches for built-ins relative to its
location ("../lib/pd/doc");

so which is your system? suse, arch, foonix,...?
who installed Pd into these non-standard paths (a package? a friend?
you?). go blame them :-)

> can't seem to find its help files. I have the
> path in ~/.pdsettings :
>
> 	path1: /opt/pkg/share/doc/pd/doc

this is a search-path for *objectclasses* (abstractions, externals,...).
it is *not* a search-path for help-patches.

> So, Pd isn't even looking in /opt/pkg/share/... - path1
> notwithstanding.

you *can* add a help-path using the cmdline flag "-helppath":

    pd -helppath /opt/pkg/share/doc/pd/doc/5.reference

(you can also add the "-helppath" to the "flags:" line in .pdsettings.)

but you *really* should fix your Pd *installation* instead.

mgasd
IOhannes