[PD] Pd can't find its help files

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Feb 10 13:39:45 CET 2016

On 2016-02-10 12:02, Andrea wrote:
> More findings on this problem. The -helppath option is unfortunately not
> a complete solution, because Pd doesn't "dive" into the specified path's
> subdirectories. So, to make it work, I'd have to issue:
>
> 	$ pd -helppath /opt/pkg/share/doc/pd/doc/5.reference
>
> ...but what if I need help from ../4.data.structures instead?

you don't.
the "-helppath" is there to get the reference help-patches for a given path.
it's not there to point to general documentation.
"4.data.structures" does not contain any help-patch.

if you want to have "4.data.structures" appear in the help-browser, add
"/opt/pkg/share/doc/pd/doc" to the path (the thing you already had done
when you started this thread).

if you want to be able to both browse the documentation via the help
browser AND to find the reference help patches for built-in objects AND
you want an unsupported layout of the Pd documentation, then you have to
pass *both* the "-helppath" and the "-path" options, possibly multiple
times.
i think this is a rather small price to pay for any fs-layout you want.

> Pd seems to dive into subdirectories only when looking into its
> apparently hard-coded help paths.

Pd never recurses into any subdirectories.

gsmdr
IOhannes