[PD] achieving smooth tempo change

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 09:55:46 CET 2016

Hi,

You don't provide any detail about your project/use case so it's very
hard to try and give suggestions on such a theoretical base.

Your initial similarity with DAWs is somewhat misleading as you mention
a global setting (that is correct most DAWs/sequencers have a general
BPM setting). But then you state (if I understand correctly) that you
don't want to use a global tempo/timing source in your project ("keeping
time locally").

Independent time objects in environments like Pd are intrinsically...
independent (I would say that's a neat feature!): you can of course find
ways to have these objects 'communicate' with each other.

Something which might (or might not) be relevant is that you can also
use audio-rate objects (i.e. phasor~) to do timing. For example a
phasor~ with a frequency of 1 Hz has a period of 1 second, etc.
(samphold~ might also be relevant??).

But as said if would really be helpful to know what you're trying to
achieve ;)

Lorenzo.