[PD] Nettles. Was: Cyclone: List of Issues with existing objects by Alexandre Porres

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Feb 14 19:42:30 CET 2016

On 02/14/2016 05:36 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres wrote:
> Ok, but I still don't get how this problem manifests itself.

objects can have any names, on all operating system.

there are two problems though, both related with loading a file that
provides an objectclass.

this is because the Pd looks for a file named after the objectclass, and
once it has found that file it will look for a function within the file
named after the objectclass.

but:

#1 filenames have some restrictions (and different restrictions on
different platforms/filesystems).
often special characters like "<", ">", "&", "|", "/", and "\" in
filenames are problematic/forbidden.
(sometimes ordinary names are forbidden, try "AUX" on w32).
some filesystems don't even distinguish between "Cycle" and "cycle"
(shudder).

#2 function names have even more restrictions (they can basically only
consist of letters, numbers and underscore, but must not start with a
number.

> And why do I need to use the [hexloader] object to load [<~] and [>~] from
> zexy?

because
#1 hexloader solves the problems explained  above.
AND
#2 you are using distribution of zexy that has deliberately broken zexy
into pieces. when zexy is built correctly (as a single multi-object-file
library) there is absolutely no problem.

dmsare
IOhannes