[PD] Nettles. Was: Cyclone: List of Issues with existing objects by Alexandre Porres

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 14 20:29:57 CET 2016

> Why not simply have an inlet that can handle both inside an abstraction and route signal one way and number the other and then sprinkle that with dynamic nlet creation and you're done? Then you can simply abstract most cases.
I read (and like) your spec on dynamic nlet creation, but I have a problem with section 2.1 Signals:
"To handle the dynamic creation of signal inlets and their routing within the abstraction, the implementation must"
It looks like the rest of the section is missing. :)

-Jonathan

 On Sunday, February 14, 2016 1:51 PM, Matt Barber <brbrofsvl at gmail.com> wrote:

 ​I tried coding that once, but it seemed like it needed some big change in architecture. Technically it's only the main signal that accepts both messages and signals in this way, where you would want to route the message. Floats should almost always be promoted to signals.​
On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 1:18 PM, Ivica Ico Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

  Why not simply have an inlet that can handle both inside an abstraction and route signal one way and number the other and then sprinkle that with dynamic nlet creation and you're done? Then you can simply abstract most cases.

 On 2/14/2016 11:36 AM, Matt Barber wrote:

  [gt~] is a great example of something that could work as an abstraction, except for the pesky right inlet which should take a signal if there's no creation argument, but float otherwise.
 On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Ivica Bukvic <ico at vt.edu> wrote:

 What I am also trying to do eventually in pd-l2ork is weed out redundant objects and only keep the ones that do the said task the best while still supporting other objects' idiosyncrasies (if any). There is absolutely no reason to have multiple objects of the same kind. Ultimately, one could keep all the externals in the same folder and completely do away with all the declares, imports, and other things that make learning pd  unnecessarily harder. --
 Ivica Ico Bukvic, D.M.A.
 Associate Professor
 Computer Music
 ICAT Senior Fellow
 Director -- DISIS, L2Ork
 Virginia Tech
 School of Performing Arts – 0141
 Blacksburg, VA 24061
 (540) 231-6139
 ico at vt.edu
 www.performingarts.vt.edu
 disis.icat.vt.edu
 l2ork.icat.vt.edu
 ico.bukvic.net   On Feb 14, 2016 8:40 AM, "Fred Jan Kraan" <fjkraan at xs4all.nl> wrote:

Hi Alexandre,

 guess some of it is in:
 http://fjkraan.home.xs4all.nl/digaud/puredata/cyclone/cycloneToDo.html

 This list is also becoming a list of what has been done.

 As with _nettles_

 "try to resurrect as independent object library"

 Anyway, tell me if this gets includes on this file.

 Yes, the nettles-objects are part of the latest cyclone versions. They are part of the nettles library, which can be loaded with [declare]. Not all operating systems like the '<' and '>' in the object names and there is overlap with other library objects, so only loading them when needed is cleaner.

 cheers

 ps. count me in for help with the help files

 Great!

 Greetings,

 Fred Jan

 <mailto:porres at gmail.com>>:

     Howdy, it's a known fact brazilians will start the year only after
     carnival, so here I am.

     I'd like to share my list of things to do with existing Cyclone
     Objetcs. Obviously there might be other issues with other objects
     that would make them up to date with the current version of Max (Max
     7). Nonetheless, this is what I find relevant, and I've been really
     checking it through.

     It's only about 11 objects, some has already been discussed here and
     might have been fixed or in the process to be taken care of, forgive
     me if so.

     I have it attached and also as a link to a google doc

     https://docs.google.com/document/d/1L_dUNgznfhaZHPKMJ3jJ_p9uIXRVP6Rs9-3nXy2Qlk8/edit?usp=sharing

     Next, I will get together a list of new objects I think should be
     included, many of which I've already made as abstractions (kind of
     to show how it works like I did with [teeth~], cause I really think
     they should all be done as externals).

     Cheers