[PD] Nettles. Was: Cyclone: List of Issues with existing objects by Alexandre Porres

Ivica Bukvic ico at vt.edu
Mon Feb 15 00:44:55 CET 2016

On Sun, Feb 14, 2016 at 5:54 PM, Jonathan Wilkes via Pd-list <
pd-list at lists.iem.at> wrote:

> Hi Antoine,
> We're talking about two different kinds of "dynamic" nlets.  Yours seems
> set a value for the signal based on whether or not there is a connection
> to that
> inlet.  What I'm talking about is a future object that would elegantly
> handle
> the creation of a variable number of inlets(~) or outlets(~) inside an
> abstraction.
>
> I'm pressing Ivica specifically on variable signal nlets because there's
> no way
> to flexibly handle them.

Why not? First of all, we need to agree that such an object would be mostly
useful at instantiation time (e.g. a silly example would be an abstraction
that mimics selector~ behavior) and in dynamic patching where after
creation one would need to connect bunch of stuff to this object and ensure
that inside the abstraction additional inlets actually do something.
Second, let's assume the dynamic nlet creation object is the rightmost
object (otherwise user is asking for potential problems if something is
already connected to the second inlet and then suddenly first inlet grows a
couple more inlets before the second one--even this could be potentially
handled, with adequate changes inside the pd core, or in this case pd-l2ork
core). Now, if new nlets are generated, they will not autoconnect to
anything--this is user's responsibility likely through some sort of live or
scripted patching at instantiation time which could be driven from the same
argument. Once that is all taken into an account, the last thing is to
consider:

suspend dsp
instantiate new object
rebuild dsp graph (as you would with instantiation of any new signal object
resume dsp
redraw object and parent object on its parent canvases

One lingering concern is that this would effectively make the abstraction
dirty which could be either seen as a good thing or handled as something
that does not trigger the dirty flag.

Best,

Ico