[PD] Does Pd have a "sound"?

Matt Barber brbrofsvl at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 16:53:35 CET 2016

Re: cubic interpolation. Yes and no. Pd and csound both use the same
Lagrange interpolator, which gives discontinuities at segment boundaries,
but the segments it generates are actually a bit closer to what you would
expect from sinc interpolation. SC3's Hermite interpolator, which matches
two points and first derivatives at the boundaries gets rid of the
discontinuities but at the price of some waveform distortion. The Hermite
interpolator is also not continuous at the 2nd derivative on boundaries and
is prone to sudden changes in concavity, while the Lagrange's 2nd
derivative discontinuities are removable; there are no sudden changes.

You can see this in the screenshot I attached, which demonstrates five
interpolators in action.

At the very top is the SR/4 cosine wave which serves as the source for the
interpolators. At the bottom left is what we'd expect from a sinc
interpolator (I haven't implemented it yet, but it should be very close to
a cosine wave).

In red are 1) Pd's [tabread4] cubic Lagrange interpolator using an
array-reading abstraction [array-read4], and 2) The 4-point cubic Hermite
interpolator [array-read4h]. You can clearly see the 1st-derivative
discontinuities at the peaks in the former, and the 2nd-derivative
discontinuities at zero crossings of the latter.

In purple are 1) A 6-point quintic Lagrange interpolator [array-read6], 2)
A 6-point quintic interpolator [array-read6h] which matches four points and
first derivatives, and 3) A 6-point quintic interpolator [array-read6h2]
which matches two points, first derivatives, and second derivatives.

One important thing to notice is how the Lagrange interpolations are much
closer in overall shape to the cosine wave at bottom left. The cost of
matching derivatives is a compromise in the shape of the waveform between
breakpoints.