[PD] Nettles. Was: Cyclone: List of Issues with existing objects by Alexandre Porres

Martin Peach chakekatzil at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 19:38:17 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 15, 2016 at 10:36 AM, Alexandre Torres Porres <porres at gmail.com>
wrote:

> hmmm, much of the discussion here could be maybe at another thread about
> creating functionalities (in externals or pd-l2ork) that allow abstractions
> to behave more like externals, so I'd suggest changing the topic for that
> to go on. btw, I wouldn't see the point of relying on another external from
> another library to make cyclone abstractions, and regarding the case of
> some simple nettles objects, the main issue is not compiling externals
> (because, well, they are already coded, complied and done), but this
> discussion of the problems on how to load their object names.
>
> Regarding this matter, it's been noted that "some OS don't like somes
> character/names (like >).
>
> Well, I find from the discussion that this is not quite true, cause the
> issues for them to not load are for other reasons that seem to be covered
> in the way the objects are built in cyclone. I might be missing something,
> but that's what I got. And also, I asked this in my first message, but no
> one answered or pointed that although these nettles externals load in MAC
> OS that they do not load on Windows and Linux - so I'm gonna go with my
> hunch that they do load.

If you look in Pd source file x_arithmetic.c you will find this line:
    binop2_gt_class = class_new(gensym(">"), (t_newmethod)binop2_gt_new, 0,
What it does is register the symbol ">" and associate it with the function
binop2_gt_new, which will create the "greater than" object. If the symbol
had not been set up when Pd started (when x_arithmetic_setup() is called at
startup), then Pd would start looking through its list of directories to
search for a file named >.pd_linux, or >.darwin, or >.dll, or other
suffixes, depending on the OS. None of those names are legal file names on
those systems, so an error would occur and the object would not create.
Cyclone, when it's properly set up, will also register a bunch of symbols
when it starts, thereby avoiding file searches for illegal filenames. If
only part of cyclone is loaded, it may not have registered the weird
symbols, so they won't load.

Martin