[PD] Nettles. Was: Cyclone: List of Issues with existing objects by Alexandre Porres

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 23:21:05 CET 2016

On 2016-02-15 07:38 PM, Martin Peach wrote:

> If you look in Pd source file x_arithmetic.c you will find this line:
> binop2_gt_class = class_new(gensym(">"), (t_newmethod)binop2_gt_new, 0,

Well, by looking at the nettles.c code, we find the exact same structure

sigeq_class = class_new(gensym("==~"),(t_newmethod)sigeq_new, 0,

So cyclone is taking care of this problem in the same way!

None of those names are legal file names on those systems.

Cool, so it's not a matter of one particular OS having an issue an not
another, it's a general issue to all of them that have the workaround which
is already done.

Cyclone, when it's properly set up, will also register a bunch of symbols
> when it starts, thereby avoiding file searches for illegal filenames.

Yep, this is what I'm assuming, that you can make it work if you do the
right thing. For example, I mentioned I downloaded a version of the zexy
library that loads [>~] without the need of a [hexloader] object. I just
put "zexy" in the search patch and [>~] loads quite easily.

> If only part of cyclone is loaded, it may not have registered the weird
> symbols, so they won't load

These objects are not loaded, so only a part of cyclone is in fact loaded,
I'm not sure why yet, it's kinda over my head. I'm having a hard time
trying to figure it out the issues of needing to use [declare] and not

But I just believe you can have them load with no problem in any OS now,
right?

cheers