[PD] Nettles. Was: Cyclone: List of Issues with existing objects by Alexandre Porres

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 23:41:34 CET 2016

> Most of cyclone are single objects files, as per pd-extended. The nettles
> part is a multi object library file. This seemed the simplest way to
> re-introduce them while avoiding the weird symbol issues. [declare] seemed
> more elegant than adding hexloader compliant object file names.

I'm sorry this is  still hard for me to get, so I need to keep asking
questions about what you mean. I guess I'm having a harder time
understanding what you mean by "adding hexloader compliant object file
names".

But I know this: I downlaoded zexy form deken and included it in the search
path of pd vanilla 0.46-7. I can now easily load an object like [>~]
without the need of the [hexloader] object, [declare] or anything.

There were also other given reasons, like this not being possible in a
particular OS, but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

So, simply put, it is possible... why couldn't we do this with cyclone? Or
is it quite possible but there is a choice not to do it?

Using declare is making it harder, so if there's a way to prevent it, I
strongly believe, as a Pd user that we should prevent it. In fact, I have
to confess that in 10 years of patching with Pd I had never needed to use
[declare], this is the first time I had to read its help file. I have also
written over 320 examples for my classes in Pd Extended and never had to
use it.

I find it really problematic that it seems you have to include flags, know
a weird name not related to "cyclone" and, worst of all, save and close
your patch to reopen and then be able to get the object you want. This is
really a bad choice over just being able to load the object without any of
this.

please let me know of any issues I'm still not getting

cheers