[PD] Burst of packets.

Martin Peach chakekatzil at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 20:23:45 CET 2016

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Mario Mey <mariomey at gmail.com> wrote:

> I read here
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15060180/what-are-the-chances-of-losing-a-udp-packet
> this:
>
> *Packet loss happens for multiple reasons. Primarily it is caused by
> errors on individual links and network congestion.*
> * Packet loss due to errors on the link is very low, when links are
> working properly. Less than 0.01% is not unusual.*
> * Packet loss due to congestion obviously depends on how busy the link is.
> If there is spare capacity along the entire path, this number will be 0%.
> But as the network gets busy, this number will increase. When flow control
> is done properly, this number will not get very high. A couple of lost
> packets is usually enough that somebody will reduce their transmission
> speed enough to stop packets getting lost due to congestion.*The text in
> bold caught my attention, because I use my router (I have a TP-LINK
> TL-MR3020 and a TP-LINK TL-WR841ND) only for this. Not internet, not other
> computer/device connected to it.
>
> How do I config my router to do only this job and, in this way, make
> "spare capacity along the entire path"?

With WiFi, it's radio so there are usually other transmitters around which
may reduce your bandwidth if they are on the same channel. You might be
able to change the channel you are on to get better throughput.
The user guide for the TL-MR3020 has this:
Channel
- This field determines which operating frequency will be used. It is not
necessary to change the wireless channel unless you notice interference
problems with another nearby access point. If you select auto, then the AP
will
select the best channel automatically.

Martin