[PD] Nettles. Was: Cyclone: List of Issues with existing objects by Alexandre Porres

Alexandre Torres Porres porres at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 00:34:17 CET 2016

> One last question:
> Does Max/MSP retain all the same class interfaces for version 4/5 classes
> in later versions of Max/MSP?  For example, is Max 7 guaranteed to be
> backwards compatible with all the internal classes of Max 4.5?

Lets go as low as 4.6, version from the time of cyclone's release.

I, for one, haven't found any backwards compatibility issue yet. All I see
is objects respecting backwards compatibility and including a few new
features.

Examples: - maximum buffer allowed in buffir~ is now 4096 samples instead
of 256.

- [wave~] first offered no interpolation (0) or linear interpolation (1),
now offers 4 other interpolation methods (2-6)

I did search around, I haven't mapped all changes possible one by one, I
focused on important objects and found a few things, not much. I mean to
say it's probably not too crazy like them updating every object at every
new release. Most are still the same in Max 7 as they were in 4.6! I did
share all features to be included so objects could be updated, the number
it's like new features for 4 or 5 objects...

Now, when implementing new objects that were present in 4.6, one has no
good reason to go back to version 4.6 instead of checking Max 7 to clone
the new version without even bothering if it is different than before...

Don't know how many of the objects I suggested are also Max6+, pong might
be the very only one...

cheers