[PD] [pix_image] available image format on linux?

IOhannes m zmölnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Sun Feb 21 19:42:21 CET 2016

On 02/21/2016 01:14 PM, Jonghyun Kim wrote:
> Would you recommended to to install externals by default package manager
> such as apt-get or pacman? I'm not sure, but I thought the some packages on
> default Ubuntu(14.04) server is a little old or outdated, but pd-deken is
> an up-to-date-system for missing packages, and I'd prefer pd-deken over
> apt-get. Please tell me if I am wrong.

in general i would recommend to use the packages provided by your
system's package manager (apt, pacman, yumm,...) if you have one.

there are of course a couple of exceptions to this rule of thumb, e.g.:
- you already *know* that the version provided by the system package
manager is too old (e.g. you need a fix for a bug in this very version).
- hmm (cannot think of another one)

the notion that pd-deken will necessarily give you newer packages is an
illusion. right now, *most* deken packages are ripped of pd-extended -
which is not available for anything newer than trusty, so rather outdated.

more important, deken is very minimalistic, and does *no job* to
guarantee that a given external will be compatible with your version of
Pd and/or with the operating system you are running.
(it does some minimal checks, in order to not suggest people running
windows7/32bit to install packages compiled for linux running on a
raspberry; but that's about it).

this works suprisingly well or *most* externals out there (which happen
to have *no* dependencies but Pd and libc), but Gem is a very complex
beast (and this is also the reason why i always refused to put Gem
binaries for linux online).

otoh, your system package manager (if it's worth this name) is designed
to ensure that all software installed through it works together.

mgsar
IOhannes