[PD] Cyclone future

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Mon Feb 22 08:10:52 CET 2016

Hi Fred Jan,

On 22/02/16 03:35, Fred Jan Kraan wrote:
> This mail is the last I will write about cyclone in the foreseeable
> future. There are serious plans to save Pure Data and cyclone by adding
> numerous objects. As I don't seem to be able to communicate my vision on
> cyclone maintenance and because my time and energy is limited, I decided
> to stop working on it.

I can understand your motivations here. That makes sense and I have made
similar decisions in the past on projects.

> I don't want to, but there is no benefit for the
> community in having two diverging versions of cyclone.

If you don't want to stop maintaining cyclone as you say, then you
should not stop.

"Diverging versions" is what makes FLOSS exciting and useful and
evolutionarily fit.

If it was me I would include in the README of your repository a link to
the fork with a rationale for why a user might want to run the other
version, and then continue to develop your version with your own
particular vision. You might find some significant subset of cyclone
users will continue to enjoy your fork and find it useful.

For example, here is text from the PDDroidParty README:

"Also check out PdDroidPublisher which is a fork of this codebase with a
focus on creating distributable music apps," and there is a link to
PdDroidPublisher that users can follow to download it and try it out.

I hope that is of benefit to you and to the common good.

Cheers,

Chris.

--
http://mccormick.cx/