[PD] How's Pd limited?

Liam Goodacre liamg_uw at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 23 05:38:17 CET 2016

Here's a radical idea that I've sometimes pondered: what if we could create left-inlets and right-outlets as well as the standard top- and bottom- ones? Part of the problem that I have with making my patches readable is that PD is always forcing me to go down, when sometimes I want to go sideways. Of course I can always just move the objects over, but then things start to look messy. Allowing me the option of adopting a second dimension might really help to simplify the workflow of the patch. Flow charts are rarely one-dimensional, after all.

Of course I can see the downsides as well: they could only be used in subpatches or abstractions, and it would probably just end up adding to the spaghetti unless it was used judiciously. But it's still something I'd love to see implemented, or at least considered.