[PD] How's Pd limited?

Roman Haefeli reduzent at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 09:00:01 CET 2016

On Mon, 2016-02-22 at 01:19 -0800, Eugene Lazarchik wrote:
> Where do I start?

Thanks. That is a pretty comprehensive list, though I do not agree with
all your points (ugly look, mailing list, big patches become unreadable
fast). For me the most important point is still missing.

* Since Pure Data aims to be a realtime / live application, I am missing
most that I cannot do some actions without interrupting audio.
Everything that touches the DSP graph is a no-go. There's a way around
many things that touch DSP graph (never resize arrays used in DSP, for
instance). But not being able load patches without interrupting audio is
the most limiting factor for me.

* The world of CPUs has shifted focus from single-threading performance
to many cores and power efficiency. It seems it's getting harder finding
a device with a single-threading performance as good as my 8-year old
laptop. And I'm easily saturating that one with my Pd stuff. What am I
going to do when it dies? I'd love if Pd would provide some true
multi-threading (not like [pd~] which is tightly coupled to its parent).

Roman