[PD] How's Pd limited?

Brian Fay ovaltinevortex at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 18:32:29 CET 2016

On Tue, Feb 23, 2016 at 11:27 AM, jamal crawford <threen52 at ml1.net> wrote:

if you like your fancy gui's, use them! have you heard of OSC? just dump
> whatever you want thru it and run a headless instance of pd, where you
> recieve it. nobody will even notice. are you a nerd or just pretending :P

If you have a static patch where you don't need to dynamically add or
remove objects, building an external gui is fine and dandy. But Liam is
basically saying he isn't satisfied with the tcl/tk patching interface and
would like an alternative. As far as I am aware libpd doesn't have hooks
for adding, removing, and connecting objects. You can't build an
alternative gui. In my mind this is the most severe limitation of pd.

But I guess pd-l2ork addresses some of these issues? I know Jonathan has
done a lot of work on a node webkit gui for pd:
https://github.com/jonwwilkes/pd-nw