[PD] Compiling Externals using MinGW / MSYS on Windows

Ricky Graham rickygrahammusic at gmail.com
Tue Feb 23 18:52:58 CET 2016

Hi Fred,

> On Feb 23, 2016, at 1:53 AM, fjkraan <fjkraan at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> Hi Ricky,
>
>> Hi folks,
>> I’m attempting to compile on a Windows 7 machine running the most
>> recent version of MinGW. I’m using Katja's pd-lib-builder
>> (https://github.com/pure-data/pd-lib-builder). My MinGW installer
>> states that I have Make v. 3.81 installed (required to compile using
>> Katja’s project). However, when I check Make version on MSYS shell,
>> it states that the version is 3.7, thus not allowing me to compile. I
>> cannot find any documentation anywhere on how to upgrade Make. I
>> suspect something isn’t pointing where it should. Does anyone have
>> any ideas why MSYS shell would report an older version of Make despite
>> what my MinGW installer is telling me?
>
> Probably because it is in the PATH earlier. What is the result of which make?

The result is that MSYS requests Make version 3.8.1 at least to compile the source. Do you know how I can see / modify the path?

>> All the best,
>> Ricky
>
> Greetings,
>
> Fred Jan
>
> P.S. MinGW comes with a nice GUI tool to view and select packages.

Yes, I’m using that (MinGW Installation Manager).

> If I remember correctly, the MSYS subsystem has its own build chain containing other (older) versions. It should be used only to build MSYS, so you should deinstall these.

The curious thing is that MSYS-Make is listed in the manager as version 3.81. However, MSYS shell lists Make as version 3.7. Are you saying I should uninstall these packages using the manager?

All the best,

Ricky