[PD] How's Pd limited?

martin brinkmann mnb at martin-brinkmann.de
Tue Feb 23 21:25:50 CET 2016

On 22/02/16 02:49, Matti Viljamaa wrote:

> How do you think Pure Data is limited?

for me the only real and important (i can think of at the
moment) limitation is the block-based audio processing.
to me this seems quite unnatural and inconvenient when dealing with
digital audio. it kept me for a couple of years from using pd, though it
is only a 'showstopper' in rather few cases, i found out.
feedback in large/complex patches for example, since it
is not very practical (or possible at all) to re-block
everything to 1...

what i tried but couldn't (yet): build a decent piano-roll
editor (vanilla).

and i believe too, pd has to 'learn' better multithreading to run
adequately on our future machines with hundreds or even thousands of
arm-cores...