[PD] How's Pd limited?

Jonathan Wilkes jancsika at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 24 18:16:27 CET 2016

I think one of the big limitations is a difficulty in turning "hot" code "cool".
For example, suppose the [hungry~] abstraction is at the heart of your patch but it consumes a lot of CPU.  What do you do?
Typically the process involves only two steps:1. make esoteric changes that marginally decrease the CPU load2. give up and port [hungry~] to a C or C++ external
#1 decreases readability, and #2 decreases portability (and hopefully readability as well).

Parallelization may be a means to address this, but it is a means and not an end.  In any case the first place to start is
to profile CPU usage and patch performance, as well as signal and object performance within the patch.  Pd needs tools
to accurately measure which classes and abstractions are responsible when a patch runs hot.

Desiredata apparently added some functionality to do that but it was apparently buggy and didn't get a lot of testing.  Anyhow,
these tools are crucial to a sensible discussion of parallelization-- without them we can only measure object performance with
very blunt tools.
-Jonathan