[PD] some notes for cyclone devs / maintainers

katja katjavetter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 20:05:53 CET 2016

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 7:06 PM, Alexandre Torres Porres
<porres at gmail.com> wrote:

>> the code was embedded in the programming structure of miXed, together with
>> other libraries and the shared framework (...) Since other libraries in
>> miXed were essentially unmaintained (...) I figured that cyclone's chances
>> for future maintenance would be best if it could be compiled with a build
>> system not relying on Pd-X or miXed as a set of libraries.
>

> Makes sense to me.
>
> Well, first, thanks for all the detailed information on how cyclone grew
> into a giant kludge and current issues Katjia. So, It was brought to github
> conserving as many pieces of the original puzzle as possible. But well,
> yeah, seems like depending on old ways and days might be counterproductive
> on the long run as you mentioned.  and it kinda relates to what Miller and
> others were telling about how cyclone should maybe be left alone as it was
> attached to "old ways of doing things", a new rebuild might be a good idea,
> though quite ambitious.

Alexandre, your summary of my notes about cyclone's build systems (old
and new) make a totally different story than I was telling. Cyclone
didn't grow into a kludge, only the build system did. That is now
solved as far as I am concerned.

For the rest: cyclone and it's underlying framework form a
well-structured but never completed body of code. I don't think anyone
suggested to rewrite it, if that is what you mean with 'rebuild'.
Rewriting is ambitious indeed, possibly beyond your imagination. And a
waste of time. Better focus on new functionality, and leave or
delegate maintenance of the existing code base to people who are able
and willing to understand it's structure.

Katja