[PD] How's Max MSP limited? was Re: How's Pd limited?

Christof Ressi christof.ressi at gmx.at
Thu Feb 25 16:41:10 CET 2016

> But I was shocked to learn you can't do any sub-block "subpatch" in SC
> without having to run the whole beast globally into a block of "1" sample (it probably won't allow it ever).

I was even more shocked by the fact you can't (locally) upsample in SC, like you can in Pd with [block~]. But otherwise SC is great :-).

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 25. Februar 2016 um 05:39 Uhr
Von: "Alexandre Torres Porres" <porres at gmail.com>
An: "Samuel Burt" <composer.samuel.burt at gmail.com>
Cc: "pd-list at lists.iem.at" <pd-list at lists.iem.at>
Betreff: Re: [PD] How's Max MSP limited? was Re: How's Pd limited?

som objects that you'd bet they'd have, but they don't (maybe externals). I could stop one day and list them all (I'm actually working on a table comparing objects in Pd x Max & SC).

I know pd vanilla lacks too much of anything, but if you're using extended, well, there's just a lot in it that max doesn't have. Actually, even some vanilla features (like the lack of a method to generate a table made of a sum of sines).

we were also talking about something like [vline~] in Pd vanilla, which is powerful for sample accurate triggering, but Max doesn't have it.

Oh, pd has no control rate limitation at all, it's what allows vline~ to achieve sub sample accuracy by the way. But Max's control rate is 2ms by default and goes only down to 1ms...

I also miss our dear friend [bang~] in max, the workaround to that is too ugly.

well, what other limitations? It doesn't run on linux or single board computers under 10$ like raspberry pi 0 - libpd also takes Pd to weird places, I foresse the day you might be able to run a pd patch in a toaster

Anyway, everything will have it's limitations. I bet there are tons of things you can do in SC that you can't do in Max or Pd. But I was shocked to learn you can't do any sub-block "subpatch" in SC without having to run the whole beast globally into a block of "1" sample (it probably won't allow it ever).

that's why I believe so much in investing on a project like cyclone - I just miss some of those objects, and if I could just steal them - great! I also fantasize about cloning and stealing SC's very nice set of objects and bring them to Pd.

cheers

Alexandre,

Since I haven't used Max in a very long time, maybe you can explain. What are the surprising limitations you've discovered with Max MSP?

Sam

Message: 2